
I can no longer volunteer at the HSPCA.
Since I began volunteering at the HSPCA I knew that they put down pit bulls regardless of temperament, health, or adoptability. I strongly disagree with this policy. I understand that it is impossible to have 100% no kill animal rescue facilities due to the gross pet overpopulation, but there is no reason to put down a dog for its breed, and no other reason.
I thought I could volunteer at the HSPCA despite my disagreement with this policy because I was not going to volunteer in admissions. That didn't work out. This past weekend someone stopped me in the parking lot of the HSPCA and handed me a very friendly, yet very scared, female pit bull he had found tied up under a highway. I called the other resuces in Houston, and no one had room, or would put her down because she was a pit bull. I wanted to bring her home, but was told this posed too great of a health risk to our dogs.
This pit bull is now dead.
I plan to contact pit bull resuces in the area and see what I can do to help. I will also start volunteering with free spay and neuter clinics, because if the shelters weren't overpopulated, this weekend's pit bull may still be alive.
No comments:
Post a Comment