Saturday, June 13, 2009

No More Carpet!

We FINALLY got around to taking the carpet out of the back room. It was horrible. The previous owner left a dog or two in there, so the carpet smelled from day one. Kirsche and Tancred didn't help the situation. The carpet is gone, and our house smells fantastic!

Sorry, this is pretty gross. Tancred was sick for a couple days, and couldn't hold his liquid poo while we were at work. We tried to clean it out of the carpet, but it wasn't working. That was what inspired us to finally rip the carpet out. To help the smell last night, Jared cut the gross parts out of the carpet.


Here is the carpet before we started tearing it out.


We got the carpet out easily. The hard part was pulling the boards and nails out. I will surely be sore tomorrow.


Here is what we found under the carpet . This was a spot we thought was clean!


Here is the carpet we knew was dirty. No wonder we could never get the smell out. Disgusting.


The dogs watched us from the other room. These bars were installed because Tancred ate his way through the wood slats. I hope I'm not discouraging anyone from dog ownership! They are wonderful animals.


What a dusty mess. I swept, vacuumed, then mopped.


And we're done! It took us two hours. It doesn't look super nice, but it looks and SMELLS so much better than before. We'll install some type of cleanable floor within the next year or so.

4 comments:

Matthew Piette said...

Getting some Persian rugs?

Ernie said...

We surely do need to.

Yvette Piette said...

Nice!

I would recommend looking into staining the concrete floor and leaving it at that. All the kitchen and copy room floors at Epic were stained / glazed concrete. I don't know much about it or how much it costs, but it could be a good solution to the messy dog problem in that room. And maybe even elsewhere in the house!

Ernie said...

Funny you say that, we did actually get a quote for stained concrete. For a room with dogs, they would do less damage than anything else.